Monday, November 3, 2014

All you need is a little GTL

By Vanessa Shepherd

After months of planning and a few days of non-stop prepping, I was on my way to what I knew would be an incredible party with friends.  I had thrown my fair share of showers before (seriously… a ton) but this one was different because it was MINE!  Knowing that most of my friends still resided in Roseville, where I had spent the majority of my life until having moved an hour away the year prior, I was sure to see many faces that I missed dearly.  Faces of the people I had shared many great memories and laughs with.  Faces of the people that I had led and even served alongside in ministry that had become a great deal to mine and my family’s life.  Faces of the people who would jump at the opportunity to celebrate with me that we were expecting our second child.  I was so very excited to see those faces!

I pulled up to my mother’s house and began to unload the mass amount of ingredients, game supplies, prizes, and anything else I could fit in from my car.  It wasn’t an ideal situation but I hadn’t wanted to put anyone out therefore deciding that throwing it myself would be easiest for those unable to travel… an hour… to the shower that would be thrown for me in Stockton.  I made homemade caramel popcorn, set up the living room, hung the decorations and waited as my friends would show.  I had sent out over thirty invites, possibly even closer to forty, and now I waited… and waited… and waited.

Four.  That’s how many people showed up.  Four. 

I knew asking them to drive an hour would be a stretch but driving ten minutes across town, I never imagined that it would also be too much to ask for.  I left that night feeling the loneliest I had in years.  And that one hour drive home felt like an eternity as I stared into the darkness, tears rolling down my face.

It wasn’t a new feeling for me, being alone. No one showed up for my senior band night.  No one showed up for my senior awards night.  I had no one show up so many times in life and although there were four of us there, it felt the same.  It felt like no one wanted to show up. I wasn’t worth an evening, or an afternoon, or an hour, or even a ten minute drive.  I wasn’t worth it.

As I pulled up to my house, knowing that Rich was expectantly waiting to hear every detail inside, something I never expected to- happened.  The pastor’s wife that we had served under for five years in Roseville called me.  We had only had a handful of conversations up until that point and it came at a real surprise to look down and see her number on my phone. I tried my best to pull myself together- to fake that I was strong enough, that I wasn’t bothered- and then I answered.

“Hello?”

“Hi Vanessa.  Tiffany came home and told me how upset she was that only a few people showed up today.” 

“Yea, it was a hard day.”

“Well I just want you to know that sometimes because of your position in ministry; people think that everyone will show up so no one does.”

I sat in the garage for a long time as she talked with me about how many times throughout the years she had experienced similar things, that people simply wouldn’t think their “showing up” would be missed. Because you are in ministry, because you are a pastor, it’s thought that you don’t need them as much.  That no matter how much you give and are “there” for others, sometimes you will still find yourself sitting in a barren room wondering why you aren’t worth it.

You may not have had the exact same experience as I had that day, but I can guarantee that you have at one time or another felt the same way I had.  Maybe you stumbled upon some pictures of a party you were never invited to.  Or overheard some friends still laughing at the inside jokes from the weekend you weren’t a part of.  Or looked into the stands at a sporting event you were playing in to find no one had showed up to cheer you on.  It is a terrible feeling. 

Sitting in that empty room it wasn’t some grand gesture that I so desperately wanted; but someone to share in my happiness, to get excited with me, to laugh about the crazy things that would undoubtedly lie ahead. I wanted someone to understand that just “being there” was not only enough, but exactly what I needed. Instead, I was alone… invisible.  So what do you do when you feel invisible to the world?  Here’s a hint… GTL. (And not the GTL you may be thinking of, but the kind that actually changes things.) 

1. Guard Your Heart   (Proverbs 4:23)
…which can pretty much be the first point of any answer… for any topic.  Yes.  It is THAT important.

By guarding your heart you are making a mindful attempt to allow and/or not allow thoughts to become beliefs.  Trust me in this, Disney has it all wrong, DO NOT (under any circumstance) follow your heart.  It is a fickle organ that is “deceitfully wicked” at times!  And while we are on the “do not’s”, here are a few more…  DO NOT focus on the completely irrational thoughts that creep in while you are most vulnerable.  DO NOT allow bitterness or anger to change your thoughts toward any person for any reason.  And absolutely DO NOT take it personal.  It wasn’t a deliberate statement, about you or your worth, it was simply an assumption.  A terribly false assumption.  However, the real injustice is not how they assumed that showing up wouldn’t matter but how you translated it to mean that you didn’t.

2. Talk About It   (Matthew 18:15)
…not to just anyone, but to the person who caused you pain in the first place.  Conversations with anyone else (unless seeking advice) would be nothing more than gossip.

Most friend-splitting arguments are started well before any words are exchanged or even spoken.  An incident happens, an offense is made, and we decide to push it under the rug until the overly stuffed rug is too massive to ignore. Then BAM… huge argument leads to an end to the friendship you held onto so dearly for years.  Instead of refusing to confront the hard issues, afraid of what they will think if you, in fact, were affected by their actions, make the decision that your friendship is worth more than pretending those situations don’t hurt.

3. Love By Example  (Proverbs 10:12)
…which is exactly what Jesus did.  No need to search for hours in the scripture, it is that simple.  Just love.

There have been many times in life where I would receive an invitation and without skipping a beat think to myself, “well they didn’t show up to my party, why should I go to theirs? They wouldn’t even know if I showed up.”  And the truth is, yes, you may be just another face in a very large crowd. Yes, you may even go unnoticed for an entire evening.  And yes, you may find it a total bore or complete waste of your time.  But what if no one showed up?  What if your face was the difference between someone feeling completely invisible or finally seen?  What if that one day was in fact the most important day?  What if we loved like Jesus commanded us to, not repaying evil for evil but chose instead to rise above and do the right thing?  What if?  Would it have made the difference if they were the ones deciding to show up for you?

Some days we will be overlooked, taken advantage of, and underappreciated.  Some days we will feel two inches tall.  And while I am not suggesting that you allow people to walk all over you, I am suggesting that you stop allowing their actions to destroy your security.  You ARE worth it.  Your worth is not found in the words or actions of others. It was already decided upon by the one action of God sacrificing His Son when He looked at you and declared you to be “worth it”. End of story. And as far as what happened after that baby shower… well, I learned to appreciate when friends would make the time to drive out to see us, and not let it affect me so much when they didn’t.  Not to say I have perfected it, but I don’t want to punch anyone when I see them weeks later… so I’d say that’s progress.




1 Thessalonians 5:15
See that none of you repays another with evil for evil, but always aim to show kindness and seek to do good to one another and to everybody.





PS My friend Tiffany was not only one of the four who showed up to that baby shower in Roseville, but also took the time to drove to the shower in Stockton a month later. We have kept in contact all this time even with our move to Central Cal and hers to Oregon; our friendship has spanned almost ten years now, which is the longest I have had the privilege of calling someone “friend”.  True story.  She is the perfect example of just “being there”, and has been to many events when few others showed up.  She is a gentle reminder for me of God’s goodness in our pain and I cherish her deeply.  

No comments:

Post a Comment