Friday, January 23, 2015

Car Jamming. An Essential Part of Life.



I was recently rocking out to some songs on the radio. Not really thinking, just shaking my bass and what not. It can be such a good time letting loose, and dancing mindlessly in the car. The best is getting crazy with friends, but let’s be honest, when your mom starts dancing, and I KNOW you can all relate to this… You were a teenager once… It’s all over. Just turn the music off and awkwardly ride in the silent car. But when your favorite artist and the new song comes on the radio, there’s nothing you can do, but car jam! 

So during one of my car jams, I had a moment that I thought, “I wonder what they’re actually saying.” Hmm… So I just listened. I turned the music to a normal level, parked the car in the Goodwill parking lot, where I frequent, and my eyes, or rather ears were opened. I couldn’t believe what I was listening to, and not just listening to, but mindlessly singing. The Holy Spirit began convicting me, and showing me even more songs that I had been allowing enter my spirit and I immediately asked for forgiveness. 

Don’t get me wrong; I love music and the positive songs that are on the radio right now. It does some incredible things listening to songs telling us how brave and happy we should be. But my heart breaks at the lyrics of songs that tell us to play around, bribe a man to stay, or telling us that it’s ok to be a stripper if we go home with him at the end of the night... These songs that I’ve been “jamming” to goes against everything that I believe in, and I have to be honest, if you’re a believer in Jesus, it should go against what you believe in too.

As women of God, we are commanded in Proverbs 4:23 that ABOVE ALL ELSE we should be guarding our hearts. And one of the best ways to guard our hearts is to guard what's entering our minds. Not making a bad guy good for a weekend! That’s the polar opposite of guarding our heart. I don’t want to be young and reckless. I want to be YOUNG AND FREE full of the wisdom of the Holy Spirit (Isaiah 11:2). I don’t want my little sisters in Christ to have a long list of “ex-lovers”. I want them to know what it’s like to wait for the man God designed for them. To not have to wonder in their marriage bed who else they had crazy weekends with.

Time to get personal: I didn't always keep my space blank.. I filled it with names hoping I'd find love, but instead lost hope. I’m so thankful I decided to give my BLANK SPACE to Jesus, finally, so that He could decide whose name would be written on it. And I’m so grateful for my husband Johnny. He is the man of my dreams. The only time I’ve ever experienced, “Screaming, Crying, Perfect Storms,” was on a few occasions. We were playing a crazy game of PIT yelling across the table, laughing so hard I cried and peed my pants, and we went on a run in the rain in the perfect storm. Johnny is a man of God, who listens to the Holy Spirit. I never have to wonder if he’ll leave me breathless or with a nasty scar.

I urge you dear sisters in Christ, give your BLANK SPACE to Jesus, allow Him to write the perfect man’s name on your heart. It’s worth the wait. Wouldn’t it be amazing to not have to be heart broken again? (Psalm 147:3) Because I guarantee, even if your BLANK SPACE has been written on and erased multiple times, God is good to make us new and redeem us. 

"ABOVE ALL ELSE, guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life."
--Proverbs 4:23--

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."
--Psalm 147:3--


No comments:

Post a Comment