Monday, December 3, 2012

That's what we need!

"Oh the weather outside is frightful..." or it was anyway.  And not frightful in the sense that we would lose our home but rather it was a Sunday morning and my once straight and perfectly poofed up pony tail was now a sad, half wet, droopy hot mess by the time I reached the shelter of the inside of the church.  Even more funny to look at was my unsuspecting eleven month old who was soaked from head to toe.  His confused little face brought me back to the beginning of the year when a quick trip to Target turned into a mad dash for the car.  When we had arrived at the store the sky was partly cloudy, and I know that I may take my time in such a wonderful place that offers such cute clothes at such inexpensive prices, but I do know that I was not in there longer than 30 minutes.  Obviously 30 minutes was long enough for a storm to form and pour down flash-flood worthy rain. 
 
As I frantically pushed my two boys to the car, threw them in the back seat and buckeled them as fast as I possibly could- the woman parked next to us sauntered up and slowly began to unload her things.  "SEE MOM!" Michael yelled to me, "THAT's what we need!".  I look over to my son pointing at the reason for this woman's tranquil composure- an umbrella.  I am sure at one point I have bought an umbrella, certainly I have borrowed one a time or two and known of it's benefits, but I would be lying if I said that I had just merely forgotten it that day.  I had no clue where that silly thing was.  I have gone many a rainy seasons without and I still have yet to buy one;  that little $10 purchase could have been the very thing to save my hair on such a gloomy Sunday morning, but as I look out at a clear sky an umbrella is the last thing on my mind.
 
It's funny isn't it.  In the middle of the storm we are frantic, not heeding the numerous warnings given to us by the news, but as soon as it is over we return back to normal life as if nothing has happened.  These last two months can be described as nothing less than stormy (figuratively speaking of course) for our little family.  I have had the opportunity to share with many friends about our situation and have often been questioned about my noticeably calm demeaner. It is not a defense mechanism, I am not ignoring or putting off what has happened, and I am certainly not relieved- I just have an umbrella.  An umbrella?  Yes, an umbrella that I take with me everywhere I go no matter the season.  Because you never know when a sneaky little storm will come and catch you completely off guard.
 
This thing I carry with me, is my protection from all life may throw at me.  It is the thing that keeps the sun from burning my skin and the same thing that keeps the rain from deflating my hair.  It not only protects me, but my children and those close to me.  It is at times the only thing keeping me from coming completely undone.  I am sure if you have talked with me long enough you know that what I am speaking about is my personal relationship with a loving God and if you are without one then don't be confused if I saunter up beside you and start to unload the things into my car- unchanged by my surroundings.  I'm covered.  I'm protected.  I'm crazy enough to believe the words that He spoke to me that are written in my Bible.  Words of peace that surpasses understanding, joy that comes in the morning, strength when I am weak, a promise to never be left alone, and love that sees past my failures.  I may not always have to use those promises, but when the storm comes that umbrella is the first thing I reach for.  (Secondly of course would be my waterproof mascara, but that isn't the point.) 
 
If only people knew that their local stores offered such umbrellas.  And when they reached the counter they would find out that someone had already paid the price.  It is a free gift.  And I love free. Friends, life can be stormy sometimes but don't blame the umbrella!  Go get one, and don't just keep it locked away in a closet somewhere- use it, it will change your life!
 
 
Psalm 91:14-16*
“Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will set him on high, because he has known My name. 
He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; 
I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him.
With long life I will satisfy him, and show him My salvation.”
 
*This is only a snid-bit of my favorite chapter, I encourage you to read all of Psalm 91!

  

2 comments:

  1. As always, you have encouraged me while making me laugh at the same time! Love it!

    Aunt Cheryll

    ReplyDelete