Friday, February 6, 2015

Mi Casa Es Su Casa

By Vanessa Shepherd

We're adopting.  Yep.  Any day now. Any. Day.  Seriously Lord, any day now.  

It's kind of a long process and I may or may not be taking the whole "any day now" phase with great enthusiasm. (Can't you tell, doesn't this post just ooze with patient enthusiasm?)  Of course what I really mean to say- or write- is that my house is now full of new DIY projects to help keep my mind off of the fact it has been over six months that we have been "approved" and on stand by for God to bring us our little Shepherd girl.  

That being said, we at LHOH decided it would be fun to start a "Friday Fun Post" for crafting, baking, cooking, or weird lists of random things.  This of course makes me feel a little better about the stack of new material I have with all of my erotic power tool usage and chalk paint paintings! So here it is, a great Friday Fun post just for you... and this one is great for any weekend!


SLEEPOVERS!!!!  I mean come on, it's the weekend there are bound to be a few sleepovers happening!  And with all that time spent at someone's house there are bound to be a few "mi casa es su casa" moments.  You know the ones where your friends ask where the towels are but they are morning people so their asking is mid dream and to be a good host you have to pull your uncaffeinated self out of your ever so comfortable sleeping position to show them for the umpteenth time where the hall closet is, because that is in fact where everyone keeps their towels.  Or the toothpaste... that is in one of the few drawers in the bathroom.  Or your blow dryer because they have forgotten theirs.  Or some other thing that is in some other place that they cannot find without waking you from your peaceful rest and all the while you just want to say, my house is your house, feel free to look in every drawer and in every room if it will mean five more minutes of sleep.

Maybe that's just me because I am most definitely NOT a morning person and should not speak without my morning worship songs and giant cup of coffee first.  But alas I have found an answer to our problem!  The "Be Our Guest" Basket fully stocked with extra toothbrushes, toothpaste, an old blow dryer, a straightener, a comb, a brush, hairspray, shampoo, conditioner, washcloths, and a fresh towel!


It is genius!  No need to fumble around with one eye open, dodging all things with reflective surfaces that might catch your troll-like hair, to find the unmentionables for the even more unmentionable week (which all can be found now in a zippered pouch in your new basket) for your embarrassed guest.  

And to make them feel extra special without having to skip a great date with the Sandman (the fictitious man who helps you sleep, yep not sure who thought up that nightmare), take your dry erase markers and write a welcome note on your bathroom mirror!  We do it every time someone comes to stay with us and without fail it is a big hit!  Plus it wipes right off.



(Never mind the awesome camera work, clearly I am a photographer 
now that I own a smart phone with editing options and all.)

My favorite thing is to write a new scripture on my own mirror each day to help me remember something God has been trying to remind me of.  There's just something about seeing how I am "fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:14) as I do my makeup that puts me in a great mood the rest of the day!  Or about how I am "more than a conqueror through Christ" (Romans 8:37) as I go through a hard season.  So even if there are no immediate plans for someone to come stay because you may or may not be in trouble for something you possibly did, then encourage yourself with a line or two from the greatest love note ever written- the Bible- and smile as you tackle your day!


Isaiah 61:3
"...bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor."

No comments:

Post a Comment