Thursday, June 14, 2012

A little girl's dream...

When I was in my preteen years I used to dream of being a runway model and how amazing it would be to wear designer clothes (which was in complete contrast to the hand-me-downs I was used to wearing from my sister or Goodwill), getting my hair and makeup done, and walking in the most fabulous heels.  Beautiful, glorious 4 inch heels.  Not to mention having my picture taken by complete strangers and posted in magazines.  Ah yes, that must be what the Lord had planned for my life, right?!  And then it happened, the day I was to be “discovered”.  My sister will remember it well because she watched the woman spot me out in a mall and finally all of those hours spent practicing my “walk” was finally going to pay off!  I was given a card with a date and time on it and my dad drove me out to their offices; I knew this would be a defining moment in my life and in fact it was.   My nerves were on overload from anticipation and then I heard the five words that every girl wants to hear “We’d love to have you”. If only his sentence had stopped there.  He proceeded to say “We’d love to have you, so after you’ve dropped about forty pounds come on back and we will get you started”.  Dream crushed.  It was at that moment I considered amputation, my leg had to weigh at least 40 pounds right?  I mean seriously, FORTY???  I am not sure what “look” they were going for but I was pretty sure I could starve myself for years and still not fit into what they wanted.  I am so thankful that my dream didn’t pan out because I can truly say that I am beyond thrilled with where God has me.  The whole purpose of this blog is to help, guide, and encourage girls so here it is, the helping, guiding and encouraging part… Back in February I ran across this video.  It is about a Victoria Secret model at the top of her career, who listened to her convictions and stepped down not only out of respect for her husband and her own body but also to be a better example for other girls.  AMAZING!  Yes there are those who say you can’t take back what you’ve already done, especially with all of the pictures and videos that are out there, but what an amazing example of how we should live!  Just because we are making wrong choices doesn’t mean we ignore our convictions because we can’t take it all back.  We put down wrong decisions and pick up humility and forgiveness and move on!  I hope that her story challenges you in some way to listen to those convictions deep down on the inside of you.  And know that I have been in your shoes when at times the right choice is the hardest choice!  When it would be easier to just keep living how you are living, doing what you've been doing, acting how you've been acting or talking how you've been talking.  The book of Esther teaches us this very concept, her life could have been taken but "who knows if perhaps [she was] made queen for just such a time as this?" (Esther 4:14) 

PS That dream I had of modeling- well I was given the opportunity to “model” for my sister at two different occasions to build her portfolio and it was everything I dreamed of. I posted a picture below as proof... Funny how God listens and fulfills even the silliest of desires. And if you ever need some photography work done, check out her facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/StephanieWheelerPhotography!


No comments:

Post a Comment